Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It didn't happen


A week ago, Brian and I were on too short of a vacation without kids. In order to keep my sanity, I'm pretending it didn't happen. We had such a wonderful time talking, finishing conversations, sleeping in (7:00 woo-hoo!), having dinner later without worrying about whining or someone hurling something across the room and really, just with each other. Now, we're back to reality, and to cope, I'm pretending I never went away. Maybe if the trip had been longer I wouldn't feel this way, but such is life.

In the interim, I'm posting a few pictures of my non-existent trip here for those interested. Brian claims the Grand Tetons are officially the most beautiful place on earth (I picked the Mediterranean Sea in Italy and Turkey for those interested), and says he'd go back every weekend. When I reminded him that if he went back every weekend, he'd have to take the kids, he decided that he probably wouldn't enjoy the Tetons nearly as much with small, loud children to cart around.

Here's String Lake, our first hike on Sunday afternoon:

The next morning, we started our long trek through Cascade Canyon. Our intent? To find snow. None of the upper trails are cleared yet, so we figured we'd get as far as snow and turn around. This is Jenny Lake.

Here's one of my favorite meadow shots from the Lake Solitude part of our Cascade Canyon hike.

And here's our favorite view-the back side of the mountains. 14 miles round trip in 7 hours, and despite getting really sick, it really was worth it.

Our last day, we headed up to Yellowstone since I was so wiped out from hiking the day before, and so we could scout it out before taking the kids there this fall. We enjoyed seeing all of the geysers and their aftermath, but weren't too impressed by all of the people.

Now, I'm back to my normal life: breakfast, dishes, kids, cleaning, trying to entertain myself, etc. Hopefully next year we can go on an even longer trip, but for now, I'm telling myself (94 pictures-click if you want all of them- and 3 days of rest later) it just didn't happen.

3 comments:

The Close's Place said...

Those pictures are amazing. It looks a lot like parts of the Uintah's that I've seen. You guys look so happy in that 1st pic. Oh to have a break from the daily grind :)

Brooke Shreeve said...

I'm glad you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! The Tetons were very beautiful. I have to say that I could have done without the crowd.