Monday, March 3, 2008

Debating the issues

Here are some recent happenings from the Utah legislature that I read about in the newspaper last night:
-Debate about whether to make torturing domestic animals yielded this response from a representative right up by where Brian works: "It's a customary farm practice to toss a litter of cats in the river," Jenkins mused on the Senate floor a few weeks ago. So that makes it okay, I guess?
-
During debate of legislation that would have allowed teenagers to get protective orders against their abusers, a representative described how rural Utah takes care of that problem: "In Kane County, we have a way to deal with those people. It's not very pretty. Usually, the father handles it first. Then, there is a posse that goes out and takes care of the rest of it as we drag them across the sagebrush." As opposed to what, getting a protective order? Because that would be bad why exactly?

Now, you need to remember I'm a sarcastic person and that I'm very careful about what I say to a specific audience. So, you'd probably not catch me admitting what people do to animals on a farm or with a posse (!) on the record. I love reading about silly things like the comments above, because I'm sure people in Wisconsin NEVER say foolish things on the record. Right; you only need to read the rest of my posts to find out that's not true.

0 comments: