Stacy kindly invited us over for dessert yesterday. But, Eli took the invitation as if it were his own, personal invitation for dessert made especially for him by Miss Stacy. So, when the timing of things got goofed up last evening, he started asking when Miss Stacy was going to bring his dessert to our house. He's been asking me all day, so much so that he misunderstood me to say Miss Stacy would only bring dessert if he napped, so "Mom, this one is trying really hard to nap" (which of course didn't happen, making THIS one-Sara-more annoyed than anything). And then, when we went to the "castle park" with Miss Stacy this afternoon and didn't get the promised dessert, Eli was very offended, and took the lack of dessert as a personal affront. Finally, he agreed that Miss Stacy could bring the dessert to our house this evening, after we all got home from the park. All the way home, he kept asking when Miss Stacy would be home. When 5:30 came with no word from Miss Stacy, I explained that perhaps Jason had found the dessert and eaten it. To which, Eli responded quite seriously, "Mom, you are teasing me. Stop it."
So, at 6:00 this evening, Eli finally got "his" dessert. He and the napless Braedy both enjoyed it immensely. And then, both tired boys were extremely upset that we didn't allow them to eat the huge piece of cake, as you can see.
"Mom, give it back!"
Someday they'll thank me for teaching them M O D E R A T I O N.
------
As an aside, do you want to know how I remember to spell "dessert"? It came my first grade teacher who told our class we should always spell dessert with two "s"es because we want more of it (as opposed to a desert, which only has one "s"). Of course, for those of you who grew up in Utah and its "high desert", you probably didn't have the same problem as a girl from Wisconsin who'd never seen a desert, and really, never expected to see one. Then again, there was an episode of Reading Rainbow when they showed a Gila Monster in a desert, and I think that's when I pretty much decided I'd never purposely visit a desert. Oh, the things I remember from my childhood.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Let them eat cake!
Posted by Sara at 7:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
So much turmoil over cake. Yikes, I'm not quite used to a kid that remembers everything. Hope I didn't ruin your already crummy, busy park, napless day, with the cake promise. I'll use caution next time.
I don't blame the kids - that cake looked yummy!
Moderation is a hard thing to teach a kid. It is really bad when they learn to climb so even the highest points they can get to, when your not looking of course.
Post a Comment